University of Twente Student Theses

Login

Arbeidstevredenheid bij NORMA UPS

Stoffer, Erik (2011) Arbeidstevredenheid bij NORMA UPS.

[img] PDF
1MB
Abstract:Commissioned by the management of Norma UPS Hengelo, the job satisfaction of its employees is studied. The purpose of the study is to inform the management of Norma UPS about: - The level of job satisfaction among employees. - The factors and characteristics establishing and influencing job satisfaction. - The relationship between job satisfaction and performance. Making use of questionnaires, the job satisfaction among the employees is studied. The population for the study consisted all employees of Norma UPS, 110 in total. The employees had 18 days to fill in their questionnaires, during this period 14 employees were on vacation. A total number of 96 questionnaires were distributed among the employees, while 77 questionnaires returned completed. The sample includes 70% of the total population. The job satisfaction among employees of Norma UPS is fairly well. Nearly one quarter of the employees (24,7%) is very satisfied and more than half of the employees (62,3%) are satisfied. Concluding a total 87% of the employees is rather satisfied or very satisfied. Of the remaining 13% of the employees, 10,4% responded neutral (not satisfied and not dissatisfied) and only 2,6% of the employees are dissatisfied about their job. In order to investigate which aspects are influencing the job satisfaction, literature is studied. Based on theoretical arguments and empirical evidence in the literature, 15 different variables are included in the research model. In practice, eleven of these variables turned out to be significantly correlated with job satisfaction. At a significance level of 0,01; directive leadership, feedback from manager, participative leadership, learning and development opportunities, feedback from others, reward and task significance. And at a significance level of 0,05, four independent variables appear to be related to job satisfaction; job variety, social support, job complexity and autonomy. Based on the theory and empirical evidence, skill variety, task identity, proactive personality and problem solving were also expected to correlate with job satisfaction. Unfortunately, these relationships were not find at Norma UPS. The multiple regression analysis found that task characteristics (consisting the variables; task variety, task significance and autonomy) and leadership (consisting of participative leadership, directive leadership and feedback from the manager) together explain 41% of the variance of job satisfaction. The relationship between job satisfaction and performance is also examined. An inter-subjective assessment determined the performance produced by department. The performance is measured by a ranking of departments by prominent employees from various disciplines working closely with these departments. It can be concluded that job satisfaction explains 54,4% of the variance of performance. Note that the inter-subjective assessment of performance is less reliable than when using KPI‟s for each department. Another note is that eight departments are included, so the data changes rapidly. However, we can conclude that the relationship between job satisfaction and performance at Norma UPS is positive. Once we know the job satisfaction among the employees, the effect of job satisfaction on performance and which factors establish job satisfaction. It is possible to increase job satisfaction in an efficient and effective way. The characteristics and factors creating job satisfaction are divided into two groups. The first group, priority I, the task characteristics and 11 leadership, explaining 41% of the variance of job satisfaction. Priority group II, consists of other variables that significantly correlate with job satisfaction. In order to make a "quick win", the variables of Priority I and II both are sorted by average score from low to high. The variable with a low average score provided the most room for improvement. Priority I: - Task significance - Feedback manager - Directive leadershipstyle - Participative leadershipstyle - Autonomy - Task variety Priority II: - Satisfaction with reward - Feedback from others - Work complexity - Social support - Learning and development opportunities
Item Type:Essay (Master)
Clients:
Norma UPS
Faculty:BMS: Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences
Subject:77 psychology
Programme:Psychology MSc (66604)
Link to this item:http://purl.utwente.nl/essays/61695
Export this item as:BibTeX
EndNote
HTML Citation
Reference Manager

 

Repository Staff Only: item control page