University of Twente Student Theses

Login

Work values and their effect on followership behavior

Wel, M.R. wel (2015) Work values and their effect on followership behavior.

[img] PDF
775kB
Abstract:Leaders contribute only 20 percent to the success of an organization, while followers are responsible for the remaining 80 percent. Since still little empirical attention has been paid to followers, much more academic research into followership is essential. This research reveals new insights by studying the relation between followers’ work values and follower behaviors. The methods used include: (1) video-observations of Transactional and Transformational follower behaviors, systematically coded by trained interdependent coders during regular staff meetings and (2) surveys among 163 followers, measuring a self-rating of work values. As hypothesized, a positive significant relation is found between holding the work value Openness to change and exposing Transformational followership behavior. For the remaining three hypotheses: Self-enhancement and Conservation being positively related to Transactional follower behavior, and Self-transcendence being positively related to Transformational behavior, no significant relations are found. However, the analyses did reveal a negative relation between having Conservation work values and exposing Transformational followership behavior. Concluding on these results, individual work values of followers only can’t fully predict followership behavior. Future research should take organizational context influences, e.g. leaders’ work values, shared organizational work values and the perceived degree of hierarchy into account in the attempt to predict followership behavior.
Item Type:Essay (Master)
Faculty:BMS: Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences
Subject:85 business administration, organizational science
Programme:Business Administration MSc (60644)
Link to this item:http://purl.utwente.nl/essays/67575
Export this item as:BibTeX
EndNote
HTML Citation
Reference Manager

 

Repository Staff Only: item control page