University of Twente Student Theses


Water footprint of Indonesian provinces : the relation between water use and consumption in Indonesian provinces

Bulsink, F. (2008) Water footprint of Indonesian provinces : the relation between water use and consumption in Indonesian provinces.

[img] PDF
Abstract:The demand for agricultural products will increase in Indonesia, but the agricultural sector is dealing with the problem of water scarcity. This study will analyze the water use in the agricultural sector and the consumption of this water by the population. In order to do so, the study will make use of the concept water footprint and virtual water content. The water footprint indicates how much water people directly and indirectly consume. The amount of water that a crop uses during its growth period is called virtual water content. The program CROPWAT has been used for the calculation of the virtual water content in crops. The method for calculating the water footprint is developed by Hoekstra and Chapagain. Data for this study have been taken mainly from the years 2000 till 2004. There is a big variety in the virtual water content of crops between provinces. Rice produced on Jawa has the lowest virtual water content of all rice in Indonesia. The green water component is relatively high for all crops, only for rice and soybeans the contribution of the irrigation water relatively high compared with the other crops. The interprovincial virtual water flows are primarily caused by rice. The products cassava, coconut, bananas and coffee have the largest interprovincial water flows relatively to the water use for production. The biggest amount of virtual water from provinces or countries will go to Jawa. Sumatra has the largest contribution in the interprovincial water flows and the flows to other countries. The average water footprint in Indonesia is 1092 m3/cap/yr, but there are large regional differences. The footprint varies between 841 and 1760 m3/cap/yr. The average water footprint consists for 84% of domestic internal water. The remaining 16% comes from other provinces or countries. Indonesian provinces are highly dependent on internal water resources. If there is more trade between the provinces and the location of crop production will depend on efficient water use, the water footprint could become lower.
Item Type:Essay (Bachelor)
LabMath-Indonesia, Bandung, Indonesia
Faculty:ET: Engineering Technology
Subject:56 civil engineering
Programme:Civil Engineering BSc (56952)
Link to this item:
Export this item as:BibTeX
HTML Citation
Reference Manager


Repository Staff Only: item control page