University of Twente Student Theses

Login

Redesign of the GoodMoovs UI and UX & Building an online community

Oudhof, T. (2020) Redesign of the GoodMoovs UI and UX & Building an online community.

[img] PDF
428kB
[img] PDF
585kB
Abstract:This research aims to identify and redesign aspects of the current GoodMoovs app. The goal of this proposed redesign is to improve the experience of the user while using the app, to promote an online community that stimulates and helps the users, and to lower the amount of calls to customer service center of GoodMoovs. During the first phase, we found problems related to the app by conducting a literature review, analyses, and expert interviews. We expected to find problem areas within the GoodMoovs app, problem areas for the users within the process of the GoodMoovs service, and to gather different opinions from stakeholders about the current app and experience of the users. We substitute the feedback from GM users for stakeholders of GM, per GoodMoovs wishes. These stakeholders provided their knowledge of their users to provide feedback on the current GM app, their users’ wishes. During these interviews, we found GoodMoovs’ focus was the technical functioning of the app and they took limited time to focus on the user experience and user interface. Therefore, it was important to reflect on the app and the troubles the users have while using the GoodMoovs service. We did this by collecting literature about effective UI and UX design. Through literature about effective UI and UX, we accumulated design guidelines that improve both these aspects within an app. The focus of these design guidelines was consistency, to reduce the memory load, and to engineer for errors. The design guidelines pointed out weak aspects in the GoodMoovs app or showed aspects that were not included in the current GoodMoovs app. Besides looking at the app to find problem areas, we wanted to find problems users were having that should be incorporated in the app. We looked at the call log of the GM customer service and interviewed a customer service employee. Combining all this information, we could start to create an objective for a solution in phase 2. In phase 2, firstly we accumulate instruction design guidelines from literature to create instructions in the GM app. Secondly, we investigated the tasks the user needs to perform and the functionalities the GM app requires in a functional- and task analysis. This provided the opportunity to investigate limitations regarding the experience. Based on this analysis and the previous phase, we created the requirements that needed to be incorporated in this redesign. We divided these into must haves, should haves, could haves, and will not have this time, according to the MOSCOW method (Agile Business Consortium, n.d.). While creating designs in phase 3 and creating the prototype in phase 4, the must haves and should haves were the most important requirements to incorporate. The next phase, phase 3, focused on the design and development of conceptual designs for the UX/UI and the community. Through ideation and iteration, we created concepts to present to the stakeholders of GM. Based on their feedback and the requirements as validation, these concepts will be worked out in a prototype to create a detailed design. The feedback and requirements showed weak points in the designs that needed to be improved in the prototype. Phase 4 was to demonstrate the proposed redesign and its function was to show and simulate the experience of the user. Therefore, it was an interactive prototype. The prototype incorporated the new design of GM. The prototype was evaluated in phase 5, this evaluation was done with the stakeholders again and the requirements. Phase 5 was to look critically at the prototype and find weak points. Since we have gathered knowledge regarding UX/UI design, we also took a critical look to find more weak points besides those the stakeholders and requirements pointed out. Reflecting on phase 5, the stakeholders had limited time to try out the prototype. They had about an afternoon to try it out. In hindsight, this should have been longer so they could review it more in-depth. We did mention the stakeholders could sent feedback after the feedback session in case they thought of more feedback. During the session, we followed the assignment to go through the prototype. A counterargument to this, the assignment was a little unclear, so the stakeholders might have misunderstood a step. Any weak points related to this design were incorporated in the recommendations that were mentioned in phase 6. Lastly, in phase 7 we answered our main research question. The outcome of this bachelor assignment is a research of problems related to the GM service, effective UX and UI design, building a community, and a prototype to show the experience of the improved aspects of the GM app.
Item Type:Essay (Bachelor)
Faculty:ET: Engineering Technology
Programme:Industrial Design BSc (56955)
Link to this item:http://purl.utwente.nl/essays/83063
Export this item as:BibTeX
EndNote
HTML Citation
Reference Manager

 

Repository Staff Only: item control page